Skip the menu

Visitor Information

This is the beginning of the text

Places to see

Torodo (燈籠堂) / Lantern Hall

Torodo 1

Lantern Hall was first built by Abbot Shinzen Daitoku and reconstructed by Fujiwara Michinaga in 1023. The inside of this building is covered with thousands of lanterns that have been offerings and donations from individuals over time. Among so many lanterns from ordinary people, four significant lanterns have remained lit for a long time: “Kishin-tou” which was donated by a priest Kishin, “Shirakawa-tou” which was donated by Ex-emperor Shirakawa, “Showa-tou” donated by a prince and a prime minister in Showa era, and “Hinnyo-no Ittou” which was offered by a poor woman named Oteru.

Back to the top of this page

This is the end of this page